Cyton Biosensing Board (8-channels)
The board that started it all! The Cyton allows you to gather 8-channels of scientifically-validated physiological data.
The Cyton Board is a scientifically-validated research tool
The OpenBCI Cyton Board is an Arduino-compatible, 8-channel neural interface with a 32-bit processor. At its core, the OpenBCI Cyton Board implements the PIC32MX250F128B microcontroller, giving it lots of local memory and fast processing speeds. The board comes pre-flashed with the chipKIT™ bootloader, and the latest OpenBCI firmware. Data is sampled at 250Hz on each of the eight channels.
The OpenBCI Cyton Board can be used to sample brain activity (EEG), muscle activity (EMG), and heart activity (ECG). The board communicates wirelessly to a computer via the the OpenBCI USB dongle using RFDuino radio modules.
If you are only interested in using the board for research and don’t care about the hardware, don’t fret! The board and dongle come pre-loaded with the latest firmware, making OpenBCI accessible to researchers and developers with little to no hardware experience. OpenBCI boards have a growing list of data output formats, making them compatible with an expanding collection of existing biofeedback applications and tools.
What comes inside the box?
- (x1) OpenBCI Cyton Board
- (x1) OpenBCI programmable dongle (for bluetooth communication)
- (x4) plastic feet (for board stabilization)
- (x1) Clear board case, Lithium battery and charger (if purchased after May 25th, 2022)
- 3-D print file for case
- The Cyton board does not include electrodes.
- It is compatible with our Ultracortex Mark IV Headset, Electrode Cap, Headband Kit, Gold Cup Electrodes, our EMG/ECG Snap Electrode Cables, and our Header pin to touch proof electrode adapter.
- For more detailed information on how to get started with the Cyton Board, go to the Cyton Tutorial page of our website.
- Watch the Cyton Biosensing Tutorial Here
- YouTube video of live-streamed EEG data using the Cyton Board
Research showing OpenBCI Cyton to be comparable to 25x more expensive bioamplifier
- "Comparison of an open-hardware electroencephalography amplifier with medical grade device in brain-computer interface applications"
Want to see more use cases of OpenBCI? Head to our keyword searchable collection of recently published, OpenBCI-based EEG, EMG, and ECG research
Cyton Board Technical Specifications
OpenBCI 32bit Board:
• 8 differential, high gain, low noise input channels
• Compatible with active and passive electrodes
• Texas Instruments ADS1299 ADC (link to datasheet)
• PIC32MX250F128B microcontroller w/chipKIT™ bootloader (50MHz)
• RFduino™ Low Power Bluetooth™ radio (Link to datasheet)
• 24-bit channel data resolution
• Programmable gain: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 24
• 3.3V digital operating voltage
• +/-2.5V analog operating voltage
• ~3.3-12V input voltage
• LIS3DH accelerometer (link to datasheet)
• Micro SD card slot
• 5 GPIO pins, 3 of which can be Analog
• RFD22301 radio module from RFdigital™
• FT231X USB-to-serial converter from FTDI
• Can upload code to the OpenBCI board or the dongle
• Fully broken out and pin-compatible w/ RFduino form factor
DO NOT EXCEED A 6V Battery
Please note that product prices do not include customs fees, import taxes, brokerage fees, or any customs clearance fees. This is the responsibility of the customer.
If shipping to Europe, please expect the import tax to be about 25% of the product price. If shipping to other countries, it is about 10-20%. For a free estimate of the total import duty and tax, use this calculator. Enter the HS code 8542310000 when prompted.
Have questions about shipping internationally? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
All orders ship from the US. We ship worldwide!
The Cyton Board is not a medical device nor is it intended for medical diagnosis and provided to you "as is," and we make no express or implied warranties whatsoever with respect to its functionality, operability, or use, including, without limitation, any implied warranties, fitness for a particular purpose, or infringement. We expressly disclaim any liability whatsoever for any direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or special damages, including, without limitation, lost revenues, lost profits, losses resulting from business interruption or loss of data, regardless of the form of action or legal theory under which the liability may be asserted, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
Evaluation Board/Kit Important Notice: OpenBCI, Inc. provides the enclosed product(s) under the following conditions: This evaluation board/kit is intended for use for ENGINEERING DEVELOPMENT, DEMONSTRATION, OR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY and is not considered by OpenBCI, Inc. to be a finished end-product fit for general consumer use. Persons handling the product(s) must have electronics training and observe good engineering practice standards. As such, the goods being provided are not intended to be complete in terms of required design-, marketing-, and/or manufacturing-related protective considerations, including product safety and environmental measures typically found in end products that incorporate such semiconductor components or circuit boards. This evaluation board/kit does not fall within the scope of the European Union directives regarding electromagnetic compatibility, restricted substances (RoHS), recycling (WEEE), FCC, CE or UL, and therefore may not meet the technical requirements of these directives or other related directives.
Refund Policy here