Ultracortex "Mark IV" EEG Headset
The original 3D printed EEG headset! The Ultracortex allows you to acquire up to 16-channels of EEG data and can be paired with the OpenBCI Ganglion, Cyton, or CytonDaisy board. Order it unassembled, pro-assembled, or print-it-yourself!
The Ultracortex Mark IV EEG headset is a scientifically-validated research tool
- This kit includes electrodes, however we HIGHLY suggest adding these comfort prongs which combine the best of wearability and Ag-AgCl signal quality: Dry 5 mm EEG comb electrodes $44.99
- The Ultracortex "Mark IV" EEG Headset kits DO NOT INCLUDE a Cyton Board or Ganglion Board. These items must be purchased separately.
- The Ultracortex is available in small, medium, and large size. Fit guide can be found below.
- Please watch the Assembly Tutorial and read the Ultracortex Tutorial.
- IMPORTANT PRODUCT USE NOTE - Please note before adjusting/twisting a blue electrode mount, first disconnect it from the colored cable. This would extend the lifetime of the electrode mounts.
The Ultracortex is an open-source, 3D-printable headset intended to work with any OpenBCI Board. It is capable of recording research-grade brain activity (EEG), muscle activity (EMG), and heart activity (ECG). It is not designed for transcranial stimulation. This headset is designed to receive EEG signals only. The Ultracortex Mark IV is capable of sampling up to 16 channels of EEG from up to 35 different 10-20 locations.
The Ultracortex Mark IV is the latest edition of the Ultracortex—a comfortable, adjustable, and 3D-printable EEG headset, compatible with all of the OpenBCI boards. The Ultracortex’s revolutionary design uses dry EEG sensors and takes less than 30 seconds to put on and get up-and-running (check out the video demo below). Included is the free GUI application for streaming live data.
Ultracortex Mark IV Purchasing Options
You have the option to select 3 different Ultracortex Mark IV products:
- Print-It-Yourself ($399.99-499.99): this product comes with all of the pieces required to assemble a full Ultracortex Mark IV ASIDE from the pieces you can print yourself with a desktop 3D-printer. This kit is perfect for those who have their own 3D Printer (OpenBCI board not included). Check the assembly guide for instructions.
- Unassembled ($699.99-799.99): this product comes with all of the pieces required to assemble a full Ultracortex Mark IV headset, including the pieces that are 3D-printable (OpenBCI board not included).Check the assembly guide for instructions.
- Pro-Assembled ($899.99-1149.99): if you select this product, you will receive a fully-assembled Ultracortex Mark IV (OpenBCI board not included).
Picking Your Size (Head Circumference)
Be sure to get the right size for your head! Obtain the circumference using a tape measure wrapped horizontally across the widest part of your head.
- Small = 42-50cm
- Medium = 48-58cm
- Large = 58-65cm
- If between a Medium and Large, size up
Ultracortex Mark IV Product Highlights
We have very high expectations for the Ultracortex Mark IV. Improvements from the Mark III include:
- Higher node count (especially above motor cortex & visual cortex). The Ultracortex Mark IV will be able to target 35 electrode locations of the 10-20 System, as depicted in the diagram below
- Maximum comfort for prolonged recording
- Simplified assembly and adjustability (based on feedback from our Mark III customers)
- Secured electrode cabling for reduced noise and improved aesthetic
If you have suggestions for Mark IV additions, please contribute to the Headware Forum section
Up & Running in Under 30 SecondsOne of the great things about the Ultracortex design is how fast it is to get it up-and-running. Adjusting the headset for different head shapes and sizes is easy. All you have to do is twist the nut in the electrode holder. Once you adjusted the electrode holders at the various frame nodes, you can put the headset on and get up to 16 channels of EEG data streaming in under 30 seconds. Check out the video below!----
Want to see more use cases of OpenBCI? Head to our keyword searchable collection of recently published, OpenBCI-based EEG, EMG, and ECG research
The Ultracortex Mark IV is not a medical device nor is it intended for medical diagnosis and provided to you "as is," and we make no express or implied warranties whatsoever with respect to its functionality, operability, or use, including, without limitation, any implied warranties, fitness for a particular purpose, or infringement. We expressly disclaim any liability whatsoever for any direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or special damages, including, without limitation, lost revenues, lost profits, losses resulting from business interruption or loss of data, regardless of the form of action or legal theory under which the liability may be asserted, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
Please be advised that product prices do not include customs fees, import taxes, brokerage fees, or any customs clearance fees. This is the responsibility of the customer.
If shipping to Europe, please expect the import tax to be about 25% of the product price. If shipping to other countries, it is about 10-20%. For a free estimate of the total import duty and tax, use this calculator. Enter the HS code 8542310000 when prompted.
Have questions about shipping internationally? Email email@example.com. Please note ALL OpenBCI orders ship from the US. We ship worldwide!
Refund Policy here